Twice Baked Tahini Sweet Potatoes with Pomegranate Drizzle
An amped up version of a holiday classic, this twice baked tahini sweet potato recipe is packed with flavor from nutty tahini, buttery sweet potato and a drizzle of tangy, sweet pomegranate reduction for added zest. File this one away for your next holiday dinner, potluck or even a healthy meal prep lunch option!
1 cup pomegranate juice, unsweetened
1 cup balsamic vinegar
2 medium sized sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoon ghee
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup tahini (I use Prince brand)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Flaky sea salt ( I like Maldon)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
2. In a small saucepan, bring the pomegranate juice and balsamic vinegar to a low boil over high heat. Then reduce the heat to a low simmer until the liquid is reduced by half. Take off heat and set aside to cool.
3. Cut a few surface level slits into each potato. Place the potatoes on the sheet tray and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour until fork tender. Set aside and let cool.
4. While the sweet potatoes cool, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 3 tablespoons of ghee in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes. In a large mixing bowl, combine the garlic-ghee mixture with the tahini, salt and pepper and whisk until fully incorporated.
6. Once cool enough to handle, cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out most of the warm potato into the bowl with the tahini mixture taking care to leave a thin rim of sweet potato in each shell, so that the shells hold their shape. Mash the sweet potato flesh and tahini mixture until well incorporated. For a smoother texture, you can blend the mixture in a blender.
7. Sprinkle the sweet potato shells with flaky sea salt. Spoon the sweet potato mixture back into each shell.
8. Bake the potatoes for an additional 12 minutes. Drizzle each potato with pomegranate reduction and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and additional flaky sea salt.